Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Story

I've submitted a new story for publication. I sent it to A Woman's Good Night awhile back for consideration and although the editors said the opening was "delightfully unique" and it was put at the top of the heap, they had to cut their budget and ultimately passed on it.

So, we try somewhere else. I hope to hear back from Fishnet Magazine soon.

I'll admit, it's not one of my most brilliant pieces, but I wrote it on a plane trip back from a conference and it intriguied me enough to keep on writing. Plus, I don't write unless I intend to have it read. (Exactly why I don't keep a journal).

I can't give you the whole piece (in case it gets accepted), but here's a sneak peek. Stay tuned!

...I relax my body and sigh contentedly, appreciating his closeness as he carefully tends my wounds. It has been so long since I’ve had a man kneel in front of me, even if only to apply antiseptic.

He continues his cleansing on the other leg and I lean forward and smooth my fingertips through his hair, around his ear and rest them at the nape of his neck. He looks up and our eyes engage as the healing cotton soaks my skin. He moves from me and my hand drops to the couch as he reaches for two bandages. He opens each then reaches a hand to my calf muscle, uses his fingers to rhythmically massage there and leaning in close, blows a steady stream of air back and forth across my stinging knee. His gentle breath warms me far above my legs.


No comments:

Post a Comment